image: University of Chicago Magazine - logo

link to: featureslink to: class news, books, deathslink to: chicago journal, college reportlink to: investigationslink to: editor's notes, letters, chicagophile, course work
link to: back issueslink to: contact forms, address updateslink to: staff info, ad rates, subscriptions


  CLASS NOTES
  > > Class News
  > >
Books

  > > Deaths

 


image: Class Notes headlineFrom our pages
1911 The University Orchestral Association boasted a strong second season. According to the April Magazine, season-ticket holders snapped up 1,073 of the 1,141 seats in Leon Mandel Hall. At the association's annual meeting, officers reviewed a report noting that of nearly $900 in its treasury, $569 was net gain. The 1910-11 season featured a song recital, a piano recital, and six concerts by the Theodore Thomas Orchestra. The season closed with an April 4 concert by the orchestra featuring the works of Goldmark, Schubert, Massenet, and "Tschaikowsky."


1951 After several years of planning and construction, the University's $2.5 million synchrocyclotron was almost complete. Co-designed by Herbert L. Anderson and John Marshall, the synchrocyclotron would accelerate protons to 450 million electron volts, making it "the most powerful accelerator of positive ions in the western world." Operational until 1972, the synchrocyclotron has since been surpassed by the accelerators at Fermilab and at CERN in Switzerland. The cyclotron was housed at the northwest corner of campus in the new Accelerator Building, which the April Magazine described as "vaulted and spacious as Grand Central Station, [and] looks and sounds like a giant's workshop."


1976 Campus radio station WHPK celebrated its 30th anniversary by trying to recreate the programming of 1945. To help with the task Ned Rosenheim, AB'39, AM'46, PhD'53, played records by Glenn Miller, Hal Kemp, Billie Holiday, Eddie Condon, the Andrews sisters, Charlie Barnett, and other performers from the 1940s. For its present-day programming, the station-which broadcasted 24 hours a day and seven days a week-offered a variety of programming, including taped faculty discussions, public-service programming, a Chinese hour, and a Saturday morning children's show by Lab Schools students.


1991 Chicago announced a 6.7 percent increase in College tuition for the coming year. Much of the rise went to replace a significant drop in federal support for faculty salaries and student aid. Tuition for the 1991-92 year went from $14,895 to $15,945, while room and board jumped from $5,390 to $5,685. The graduate divisions and professional schools also enacted similar increases. To cushion the blow, the University reduced administrative costs and substantially increased funds for student financial aid from $17.1 million to $18.7 million. --Q.J.



 APRIL 2001

  > > Volume 93, Number 4


  FEATURES
  > > A Radical Takes Root
  > >
All that jazz
  > >
How to catch a Higgs
  > >
Bound to change

  CAMPUS NEWS
  > > Chicago Journal
  > >
College Report


  RESEARCH
  > > Investigations


  DEPARTMENTS
  > > Editor's Notes

  > > Letters
  > > Chicagophile

  ARCHIVES
  CONTACT
  ABOUT THE MAGAZINE
  SEARCH/SITE MAP

  ALUMNI GATEWAY
  ALUMNI DIRECTORY
  THE UNIVERSITY

uchicago ©2000 The University of Chicago Magazine 1313 E. 60th St., Chicago, IL 60637
phone: 773/702-2163 fax: 773/702-2166 uchicago-magazine@uchicago.edu