In cooperation with the Chicago Committee on the Tercentenary
of the publication of the King James Bible, the University hosted
a Haskell Hall exhibition of Biblical editions and manuscripts.
New Testament manuscripts in Greek and Latin from the fifth, sixth,
eleventh, and fifteenth centuries were displayed along with photographic
facsimiles of the principle Greek and Hebrew biblical codices,
early printed editions of the Old Testament in Hebrew, and editions
of the Bible in English, German, French, Dutch, Italian, and other
languages. The centerpiece was a second edition of the King James
version, printed in 1611. More than 1,500 people visited the exhibition
during its two-week run.
As part of an experiment to provide two years of liberal-arts
education to young men before they undertook military service,
the University of Chicago-along with Columbia, Yale, and the University
of Wisconsin-admitted a cohort of adolescents under the age of
16 and a half. "The quality of our national life, and the
personal resources and competence of our young men, will be impaired
if college education is wholly postponed until after the period
of military service," said Dean of the College F. Champion
Ward of the program, funded by the Ford Foundation, which gave
scholarships to the participating students. The 50 students at
Chicago spent the two years working on general courses.
The statue of 18th-century botanist Carl von Linne-better known
as Linnaeus-that had stood in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood
since 1891 was moved to just south of Harper Library and rededicated
by Carl XVI Gustav, the King of Sweden. When Chicago's Swedish
community had urged the city to move the statue to a site where
groups could gather for traditional celebrations, then-University
President John T. Wilson suggested that Linnaeus be moved to the
Midway, where it joined Lorado Taft's Fountain of Time
and the statue honoring Thomas G. Masaryk, former faculty member
and the first president of Czechoslovakia.
Katie Nash was appointed dean of students in the College. Nash,
who joined the University in 1975 as assistant dean of College
admissions, became assistant dean of students in the College four
years later and associate dean in 1982.
in the Magazine's June issue: The University announced
that a new undergraduate dorm would be named for the late English
professor Norman Maclean, PhD'40. Maclean House, formerly a retirement
home at 54th and Ingelside, would open in fall 1991 with 100 single