Faculty and Staff

Daniel G. Freedman, professor emeritus in comparative human development, died June 10 in Ribera, NM. He was 81. Freedman taught at Chicago from 1964 to 1968, rejoined the faculty in 1977, and retired in 1996. Studying such diverse topics as how children learn to smile and why men grow beards, he developed an approach to the behavioral sciences that emphasized biological and evolutionary influences on culture. He also was a visiting faculty member at institutions including the Australian National University and Nankai University of Tianjin, China. Author of Human Infancy: An Evolutionary Perspective (1974) and Human Sociobiology: A Holistic Approach (1979), in retirement he continued to research the connection between biology and culture and was to be honored at the 2008 meeting of the International Society for Human Ethology. Survivors include his wife Jane Gorman, AM’84, PhD’88; two sons; and a granddaughter.

David Rollo Hawkins Sr., professor emeritus of psychiatry, died June 8 in Chapel Hill, NC. He was 84. Known for his research on sleep and dreaming, Hawkins began his career as chief medical officer at the U.S. Army Hospital in Regensburg, Germany. He then spent 15 years teaching at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine and 12 years as chair of the University of Virginia School of Medicine’s psychiatry department. In 1979 he joined the Chicago faculty as chief of psychiatry at Michael Reese Hospital, where he conducted psychoanalysis and biological-psychiatry research. A former president of the American College of Psychoanalysts, he retired in 1993 to Chapel Hill. Survivors include his wife Elizabeth, four sons, ten grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

Leonid Hurwicz, an economist, died June 24 in Minneapolis. He was 90. Cowinner of the 2007 Nobel Prize in economic sciences, he advanced the idea that desired outcomes can be achieved only with the right incentives. Shared with Eric Maskin of the Institute for Advanced Study and Chicago economist Roger Myerson, the award made Hurwicz (at 90) the oldest Nobel laureate in history. Born in Moscow, he earned a law degree at Warsaw University and studied at the London School of Economics and Geneva’s Graduate Institute of International Studies. In 1940 he moved to the United States, working as a research assistant for economists Paul Samuelson, AB’35, and Oskar Lange before coming to Chicago, where he taught in the economics department and the Institute of Meteorology during WW II. He also worked on mathematical models of the economy with the Cowles Commission for Research in Economics. In 1951 he joined the University of Minnesota as a professor of economics and mathematics, becoming chair of the statistics department in 1961. Named a Regents’ professor of economics in 1969 and the Curtis L. Carlson professor of economics in 1989, he continued to do research until his death. Survivors include his wife Evelyn Hurwicz, AB’45; two daughters; and two sons.

Frances Stutzman, the University’s first coordinator of special events, died May 28 in Skokie, IL. She was 96. She began her career in the late 1930s as an administrative secretary, and her networking skills led to her appointment as special-events coordinator, where she met visiting dignitaries such as King Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden, Britain’s Prince Charles, and Emperor Hirohito of Japan. After retiring in 1978, she worked with the University of Chicago Service League and the Wilmette chapter of Chicago’s Lyric Opera. She enjoyed exercise, French, and gardening. Survivors include her husband of 71 years, King; two sons, Peter T. Stutzman, U-High’59, and Timothy Stutzman, U-High’64; and three grandchildren.


Margaret Wilfinger Ference, SB’37, died June 14 in Stamford, CT. She was 92. An accomplished ballet dancer, she was also the first female chemist at DuPont. Preceded by husband Michael Ference Jr., SB’33, SM’34, PhD’37, survivors include three daughters; two sons, including Richard Henry Ference, MBA’71; nine grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Harry A. Arbit, SB’39, a chemist, died June 13 in Encino, CA. He was 88. During his career he held positions at G. D. Searle, Stauffer Chemical Company, and Rocketdyne/Boeing, where he spent three decades helping to develop the Saturn V rocket and space-shuttle main engine. Survivors include a daughter and a sister.


Katharine Jane (Morris) Bruere, SB’40, a librarian and artist, died February 23 in Middleton, WI. She was 89. Always known as Jane, she lived in Pasadena, CA; Boston; Oklahoma City; and Chicago with her former husband, the late Robert Becker, MD’43, before settling in Madison, WI, in 1951. In 1966 she earned a master’s in library science from the University of Wisconsin–Madison and spent the next 22 years as a school librarian in Madison. In 1973 she married Richard Treat Bruere, professor emeritus of classical studies at Chicago, and the couple traveled to Portugal, France, and the Caribbean before his death in 1992. A five-decade member of both Bethany United Methodist Church and the local League of Women Voters, she also was a Girl Scout leader. An artist and musician, she exhibited work with the Wisconsin Regional Art Association and took up classical and jazz piano in retirement. She is survived by a daughter.

Elizabeth Price, AB’41, an elementary teacher, died December 11, 2007, in Spencer, IN. She was 89. A longtime member of the Indiana State Teachers Association, Price taught at Clark Elementary School in Franklin, IN, for 16 years before retiring to St. Petersburg, FL. In 2000 she received a National Volunteer of Goodwill Industries Award. Survivors include a daughter, a son, two grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

Justin Aalpoel, SB’43, MD’45, a thoracic surgeon, died May 25 in Lynden, WA. He was 88. A Korean War veteran, he received the Bronze Star for his service as a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital surgeon. He later completed residencies at the University of Oregon Medical School and the Portland VA Medical Center. A fellow of the American College of Surgeons and diplomate of the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery, he spent 15 years in private practice before his 1975 retirement. A member of the Yakima Rock and Mineral Club, he was an avid reader who enjoyed studying geology, religion, philosophy, and science. Survivors include his wife Marion, two daughters, two brothers, and two grandchildren.

Sylvia (Rosenfeldt) Cohen, AB’44, a speech pathologist, died May 17 in Thousand Oaks, CA. She was 83. She married Ellis Cohen in 1947, and they moved to St. Paul, MN, where she was active in the local Jewish community. In 1960 the couple and their three children moved to Palo Alto, CA, where Cohen, who was trained in childhood aphasia and cleft-plate speech defects, worked as a clinician at the Scottish Rite Institute of Childhood Aphasia and volunteered at Planned Parenthood. She enjoyed dance, Scrabble, crosswords, reading, and travel. She is survived by her husband, two daughters, a son, a sister, and five grandchildren.

Robert F. Kozelka, AM’46, an educator and business owner, died April 10 in Peoria, IL. He was 101. After teaching at several Chicago high schools and managing Kozelka-Ace Hardware, he spent the next three decades as the Illinois state supervisor of vocational business education. From 1967 to 1972 he served on the business faculty of Bradley University and also taught summer sessions at the University of Michigan and Michigan State University. A former president of the National Association of Supervisors of Business Education, he was preceded by his second wife, Tressie Kozelka, AM’45; survivors include a daughter, two sons, seven grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.

Stanton H. Cohn, SB’46, SM’49, a biochemist, died April 28 in Portland, OR. He was 87. Inventor of a noninvasive method to measure calcium and other elements in the human body, he furthered the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis and other disorders. As head of the U.S. Naval Radiological Defense Laboratory’s internal toxicity (1950–58), Cohn traveled to the Marshall Islands to research the health effects of radioactive fallout from the 1954 Bikini Atoll nuclear tests. In 1958 he joined Brookhaven National Laboratory, holding posts as senior scientist, chair of the medical-physics division, and a joint appointment in the School of Medicine at the State University of New York, Stony Brook, before retiring in 1986. He wrote more than 300 articles and two books, including the 1985 guide Osteoporosis: How to Prevent the Brittle Bone Disease. He was preceded by his wife Sylvia Dushkes Cohn, SB’44. Survivors include three daughters; two sons; a sister; and ten grandchildren.

Robert W. Moses, SB’46, a psychiatrist, died October 21, 2007, in Ft. Collins, CO. He was 84. After work as an Army psychiatrist and a psychiatry fellowship at the University of Colorado Medical Center in Denver, in 1956 he began a private practice, which he continued while serving as medical director of Denver-area medical institutions including the Arapahoe County Mental Health Center, Bethesda Hospital, and Larimer Mental Health Center. In the early 1990s he joined the staff of the Counseling and Guidance Center in Fort Smith, AR. Survivors include five children, 11 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.

Steven John Rothman, PhB’47, a metallurgist, died May 31 in Wheaton, IL. He was 80. A longtime Argonne National Laboratory researcher, he focused on low-temperature diffusion and radiation-enhanced diffusion, and atomic defect interaction and transport, contributing to the high-temperature superconductor and energy-saving research projects. After his 1992 retirement he continued with the American Institute of Physics as the editor of the Journal of Applied Physics until 2002. A member of the DuPage Democratic Party, he also served as a precinct committeeman. Survivors include his wife Barbara; a daughter; a son; brother Frank G. Rothman, AB’48, SM’51; three grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Lawrence A. Hughes, PhB’48, SM’51, a meteorologist, died January 12 in Mission Hills, KS. He was 89. A fellow of the American Meteorology Society, he developed a percentage-based method of forecasting precipitation that became the national standard. An Army veteran, Hughes spent four years teaching in Chicago’s meteorology department while a research forecaster for the local Weather Bureau Forecast Office. Earning a U.S. Department of Commerce Silver Medal, in 1964 he transferred to Kansas City, MO, where he served as the bureau’s central region chief of scientific services. After his 1979 retirement, Hughes and his wife, Marion Randolph Hughes, AB’49, enjoyed traveling abroad. Survivors include his wife, a daughter, a son, and two grandchildren.

George Cressman, PhD’49, a meteorologist, died April 19 in Rockville, MD. He was 88. Developing programs to predict weather using data from multiple international sources, he started his career as an Army forecaster. Joining the U.S. Weather Bureau, he went on to work as a civilian contractor at Andrews Air Force Base, where in 1954 he cofounded the Joint Numerical Weather Prediction Unit and served as its first director. Cressman then spent 13 years as director of the National Weather Service before retiring in 1978, the same year he received the International Meteorological Organization Prize. Survivors include his wife Frances, three daughters, a son, a brother, six grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren.

Clifton H. Johnson, AM’49, a historian and archivist, died May 21 in Eugene, OR. He was 86. Johnson taught American history at LeMoyne College, East Carolina University, Fisk University, the University of New Orleans, and Tulane University. As director of the race-relations department at Fisk, he helped found the Amistad Research Center, now the world’s largest collection of original source materials related to African American histories and the African diaspora. Johnson served as the center’s executive director for 25 years. Survivors include his wife Rosemary, a daughter, two sons, and four grandchildren.

Robert C. Anderson, PhB’49, an editor and publisher, died May 16 in Highland, IN. He was 80. He began his career at the former South Side News and the Courier Community Newspapers in Chicago before Army service in WW II. He then worked for the former Crown Point Register and the Lansing Journal, where he started as a salesman and later moved up to editor. Former vice president of the Illinois Press Association and on the board of the Illinois Press Foundation, Anderson retired in 1985 as publisher of the Journal Newspaper Group, the Calumet Day, and the Daily Calumet. Survivors include his wife Mildred, two daughters, a son, a brother, six grandchildren, four step-grandchildren, and seven step-great-grandchildren.


Lawrence Bostow, AM’50, a businessman and hotelier, died June 6 in Grand Junction, CO. He was 84. A Navy veteran, he worked for Ford Motor Company until 1968. That year he and his wife Natalie purchased a resort on Otsego Lake in Michigan, which they ran until the 1990s. After moving to Grand Junction in 2005, Bostow joined the Bookcliff Barbershop Chorus, a community a cappella group. He also enjoyed gardening, traveling, and making preserves. Survivors include a daughter, a son, and two sisters.

James Karls, AM’50, a social-work researcher, of Santa Barbara, CA, died June 29. He was 80. He developed the “person in the environment” assessment system, and his books on the subject have been translated into eight languages. A WW II veteran, Karls spent 59 years working in public mental-health services, starting the first mental-health clinics in California’s Central Valley and directing the Southern California mental-health training center. He then served as director of mental-health research for California and was a part-time faculty member at the University of California, Los Angeles; UC Berkeley; and UC Santa Barbara. Karls received the National Association of Social Workers’ chapter and unit lifetime-achievement awards and the lifetime national recognition award from the National Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare. Shortly before his death he received the NASW’s International Rhoda G. Sarnat Award. Survivors include his wife Dianne and a son.

Robert W. Jones, SM’51, PhD’61, a geochemist, died May 14 in Encinitas, CA. He was 82. A WW II veteran, he spent most of his career at Chevron oil corporation, where he mapped the stratigraphy of Alaska’s Brooks Range and headed the company’s organic-geochemistry section before retiring in the late 1980s. An active environmentalist, he enjoyed hiking and climbing mountain ranges around the world and supported environmental and social-welfare programs. Survivors include his wife Laverne and a sister.

John J. Klein, AM’52, PhD’55, an economist, died May 20 in Roswell, GA. He was 78. A professor emeritus at Georgia State University, he studied under Milton Friedman, AM’34, and his dissertation, “German Money and Prices,” was included in Friedman’s classic Studies in the Quantity Theory of Money. Author of numerous journal articles and chair for 32 dissertations, Klein taught at Columbus State University, Manhattanville College, and Fordham University before his retirement in 1994. His money-and-banking text, Money and the Economy, was published in six editions from 1965 to 1986. Survivors include his wife Sylvia Knauss Klein, U-High’48, AB’52; daughter Leslie Klein Funk, AB’78; and two granddaughters.

James F. Davidson, PhD’54, of Blacksburg, VA, a political scientist and administrator, died June 5. He was 83. A Navy veteran, he taught for several years at the University of Tennessee, becoming assistant dean of its College of Liberal Arts. In 1964, after a fellowship in college administration at the University of Michigan and time writing stage plays, he became dean of the faculty at Concord College. He left in 1969 to become dean of Tulane University’s Newcomb College and later returned to full-time teaching. He remained at Tulane until his retirement in 1991. Survivors include two daughters, two sons, and three grandchildren.

Amelia C. Lipchak, AM’59, a pediatric nurse and educator, died April 27 in Petersburg, VA. She was 93. A WW II veteran, she specialized in maternal and child health and was certified in intensive-care nursing. During her career she taught at the University of Virginia, University of Memphis, State University of New York at Buffalo, and the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, where she worked until her 1982 retirement. She then moved to Petersburg, where she was a church and hospice volunteer. Survivors include four sisters.


Carl Richard Greenstein, MBA’60, of Citrus Heights, CA, an air force major and public-affairs specialist, died May 26. He was 86. He served 21 years in the U.S. Army Air Corps, navigating B-24s during WW II and also serving during the Korean War. In 1963 he retired from the air force and moved to Sacramento, CA, spending the next two decades as a public-affairs officer with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. In his retirement he enjoyed music, performance, and socializing with friends and family. Survivors include a daughter, a son, and two grandchildren.

Michael Rossman, X’61, an activist and teacher, died of leukemia May 12 in Berkeley, CA. He was 68. A leader in the Free Speech Movement at the University of California, Berkeley, he lectured at college campuses nationwide. Author of three books, Rossman documented his experiences in the essay collection The Wedding Within the War (1971). A community organizer until his death, he also spent three decades teaching elementary-school science in Berkeley. Survivors include his wife Karen McLellan, two sons, a brother, a sister, and one grandchild.

Norman J. Treisman, MBA’61, of New York City, a sales and financial professional, died April 15. He was 71. In 1964 he joined the sales group of Philip Morris USA, retiring in 1993 as president of Philip Morris Capital Corp. Treisman then worked as a private investor and a financial adviser to friends and family. A Boston Red Sox and New York Giants fan, he enjoyed playing tennis. Survivors include two sons and three granddaughters.

Ruth White, AM’63, a librarian, died January 30 in Tallahassee, FL. She was 93. After service in the Pacific during WW II, she began a library career that included posts at the American Library Association in Chicago and institutions in Ohio, Wisconsin, California, and Japan. After retiring she spent two years as a volunteer English teacher in Thailand before settling first in Asheville, NC, then in Tallahassee. An environmental activist, White belonged to many concerned-citizen groups. Survivors include one niece and five nephews.

Dennis Patterson, SB’63, of San Diego, a chemist, died of heart failure May 8, 2005. He was 62. The holder of several polymer-chemistry patents, he did research at Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., where he worked on tire materials, and Revlon, where he focused on contact-lens materials and sunscreens. Other projects included research on computer-component adhesives for Quantum Materials and rocket fuel for Hughes STX Corporation and Edwards Air Force Base. He enjoyed politics, drama, history, astronomy, and travel.

Anthony “Tony” Quagliano, AB’63, a writer and American- studies researcher, died May 31, 2007, in Honolulu. He was 65. A professor of American studies at the Japan American Institute for Management Science and the University of Hawaii, he published poems, essays, literary criticism, and jazz pieces in literary journals and magazines including the New York Quarterly, New Directions, Harvard Review, Rolling Stone, and Wormwood River. The author of four poetry books, he also edited issues of the Small Press Review. He is survived by his wife Laura Ruby.

Thomas Pummer, AB’69, a software engineer, died of a heart attack January 3, 2007, while hiking Mt. Monadnock in Jaffrey, NH. He was 58. An Army veteran, Pummer worked at Liberty Mutual in Portsmouth, NH, for 28 years before taking a part-time post at Measured Progress. An outdoorsman, Pummer chaired the North Berwick, ME, planning board and was a trustee of the town’s water district. Survivors include his wife Genie, two sons, his mother, and two grandchildren.


Craig J. Eidson, AB’72, a financial-services professional, died after a brief illness May 18 in Chicago. He was 59. During his career he held positions in purchasing at Kemper Financial Services and as a representative at MetLife. He enjoyed spending time with family and friends, and his interests included poetry, history, politics, theology, theater, music, and motorcycles. Survivors include his former wife Martie (Carpenter) Eidson, AB’91; three daughters; and a brother. 

Barbara Millstein-Finkel, X’77, a physician, died of lupus May 26 at Duke University's Medical Center. She was 56. In 1973, after being diagnosed with her disease, she switched her focus from Asian art history to premed. She earned her medical degree from the Medical College of Wisconsin and completed a fellowship in critical care, going on to serve as physician-in-charge of the medical intensive-care unit at Beth Israel Hospital in New York. Survivors include her husband Paul Finkel, AM’77; her mother; a brother, Robert M. Millstein, AB’77; and a sister.


David Morton Stein
, ’10, was found dead in his Hyde Park apartment June 27. He was 20. Concentrating in neurobiology, Stein was active in on-campus Jewish life and the Newberger Hillel Center, Snell-Hitchock house government, and Scavenger Hunt. Survivors include his parents, a sister, and three grandparents.

Return to top