Table of Contents
Send a Letter
Magazine Staff
Back Issues:
Editor's Notes
Chicago Journal
Books by Alumni

Class News


For the Record
Center Stage
College Report
Alumni Gateway
UofC Homepage


Joseph Regenstein Jr., a life trustee of the University, died March 4 in Chicago. He was 75. As president of the family foundation established by his father, Joseph Sr., and his mother, Helen, Regenstein gave more than $100 million to Chicago zoos, museums, hospitals, schools, and other institutions—including the U of C, where the Regenstein Library bears the family name. Regenstein is survived by his wife, Joan; a daughter; a son; two sisters; and six grandchildren.


Thomas W. Lester, SB’38, MD’41, a professor emeritus of medicine, died November 20 in St. Joseph, MI, at age 83. A major in the U.S. Army Medical Corps during WWII, Lester devoted much of his career to researching and treating tuberculosis as chief of staff at the Suburban Cook County Tuberculosis Sanitarium, chief of chest medicine at National Jewish Hospital in Denver, and professor of medicine at the U of C, which he joined in 1981. He is survived by his wife, Maurine Powell Lester, AM’41, his two sons, and six grandchildren.

James D. McCawley, SM’58, the Andrew MacLeish distinguished service professor in linguistics and in East Asian languages and civilizations, died April 10 in Hyde Park of an apparent heart attack. He was 61. An internationally renowned linguist, he developed the theory of generative semantics, which revolutionized the field by holding that the study of grammar entails the study of logic and meaning. Born in Glasgow, Scotland, McCawley studied under Noam Chomsky at MIT, where he received his Ph.D. in 1965. He wrote numerous books and technical articles. In McCawley’s honor, the Linguistic Society of America has established a scholarship fund for its annual summer institute, at which McCawley often taught. He is survived by two sisters.

Frank W. Newell, surgeon and professor of ophthalmology at the University, died November 18 in Chicago. Newell served in the Medical Corps during WWII, attaining the rank of major. Head of the U of C’s ophthalmology department, he was editor in chief of the American Journal of Ophthalmology. Surviving are his wife, Marian; two sons, including Frank W. Newell Jr., MBA’87; two daughters; a brother; and six grandchildren.

Rosalie Hankey Wax, PhD’51, an anthropologist, died November 4 in St. Louis at age 87. During WWII, Wax worked with a research team at the University of California, Berkeley, to investigate Japanese-American interment camps. After teaching in the College for ten years and winning the Quantrell Prize for teaching, she taught at Washington University in St. Louis. Wax wrote books on topics ranging from the education of Native Americans to Old Scandinavian languages. She is survived by her husband, Martin, and two sisters.


Gertrude Vogdes Ham, PhB’23, died January 12 in Grand Rapids, MI, at age 97. A former French teacher, Ham had volunteered for the Girls Scouts, the American Association of University Women, the Smithsonian Institution, and the Grand Rapids Public Museum. She also taught English to recent immigrants in Grand Rapids and was active in church life. Surviving are a son, a daughter, six grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

Elizabeth Boykin Wells, PhB’24, died July 14, 1998. She was 95. A native Texan, she worked as a reporter and feature writer for the New York Sun for 15 years. A contributor to national magazines, her syndicated column appeared in more than 100 newspapers. She also worked as assistant editor for Between the Lines, a news service run by her husband, Charles. She is survived by her son, Charles Jr., and five grandsons.

Babette Schoenberg Brody, PhB’28, a volunteer at Michael Reese Hospital, the Chicago Hearing Society, and the Drexel Home for the Aged, died December 5 in Hyde Park at age 91. In 1964, the Alumni Association lauded her commitment to community service by awarding her a public service citation, and in 1974, she was the Drexel Home’s volunteer of the year. Surviving is her niece, Julia Samartini.

Evelyn B. Oppenheimer, PhB’29, died September 3 in Dallas at age 90. A literary agent, author, mentor, and teacher, Oppenheimer reviewed books on local radio stations. She spent more than 15 years at WRR-FM Dallas, producing her show Book Talk. Oppenheimer also wrote 11 books, including an autobiography, A Book Lover in Texas. She is survived by her friend Mallya Dean Billingsley.

Paul H. Robinson, X’29, died December 23 in Hinsdale, IL, at age 94. After playing football for the University of Illinois, he transferred to the U of C and was active in Delta Kappa Epsilon. Robinson joined Magnus Metal, where he worked for 27 years; he then worked as a stockbroker for 10 years. He is survived by two sons, a daughter, and five grandchildren.


Louise Conner Carlson, PhB’32, a homemaker, died September 9 at age 87. Survivors include her brother, James A. Conner, SB’26; her son; and her daughter.

Ruth E. Warncke, AM’32, died November 25 in Chicago. She was 88. Warncke served as deputy director of the American Library Association from 1965 until her retirement in 1972. Earlier she directed the Kent County (MI) library and taught library science at Case Western Reserve University.

Madeline Kneberg Lewis, AB’33, AM’47, a registered nurse and anthropologist, died July 4, 1996, in Winter Haven, FL, at age 93. After directing the archaeology lab at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, she co-founded its physical-anthropology department with her future husband, Thomas. Lewis is survived by her stepdaughter, Nancy Ladd.

Robert A. Hall Jr., AM’35, died December 2, 1997, in Ithaca, NY, at age 86. After teaching at the University of Puerto Rico, Princeton, and Brown, he joined Cornell University as an associate professor of linguistics in 1946, becoming a founding member of its modern languages department. A scholar in general and romance languages, Hall published more than 50 books. In 1978, he received the Alumni Association’s professional achievement award. He is survived by his wife, Alice Colby-Hall; a son, Philip A. Hall, PhD’80; two daughters; and six grandchildren.

Oscar E. Shabat, AB’35, AM’36, the first chancellor of Chicago City Colleges, died October 22 in Chicago. He was 86. Shabat began his career as a social-science teacher in the Chicago City Junior College, becoming dean in 1958. In 1966, Shabat became the first chancellor of the Chicago City Colleges system. In his 17 years in the top post, he grew the system from two colleges to nine, quadrupled its enrollment, and started its educational television station. He is survived by his wife, Ethel; a son; and two grandsons.

Catherine Janssen Hughes, PhB’37, died on February 26, 1998, at the age of 85. Hughes was head librarian of Downers Grove (IL) South Community High School. Survivors include her husband, William; four children, including a daughter, Barbara S. Hughes, AB’64, AM’68; a sister, Margaret Janssen King, AB’40; and eight grandchildren.

A. Geraldine Whiting, SM’29, PhD’37, died November 11 at age 92. A botanist, Whiting conducted research at the U of C, Smith College, Bryn Mawr, Mt. Holyoke, Northwestern, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture. While at Smith, Whiting helped students from the Northwest earn scholarships. Survivors include her daughter, Anne Nicholson, and three granddaughters.

Mary-Anna Patrick Askew, SB’38, died August 4, 1998, in Downers Grove, IL. She was 81. Askew taught biology in Evanston and in the Western suburbs for 18 years. A University aide and a member of the Esoteric Club, she later chaired her 25th and 35th class reunions. She is survived by her husband, Warren S. Askew, PhB’34; a brother; two sons; one daughter; and six grandchildren.
Freeman E. Morgan Jr., X’39, died February 11. Morgan published a family genealogy, dating from 1607, when James Morgan lived in Connecticut. Among survivors are three sons and a sister, Helen L. Morgan, AB’34, AM’36.


Hazel E. Heffren, SB’40, SM’43, a missionary, died December 18 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. She was 83. Inspired by a missionary aunt, she organized churches and Sunday schools in China. Placed under house arrest for a year by the Chinese government in 1953, Heffren later continued her work in Canada. Survivors include her sisters, Ramona Swanick and Nelda MacKay.

William C. Larkin, SB’40, died March 18, 1998. He was 87. Larkin taught chemistry at St. Joseph High School in Michigan until he retired in 1974. Survivors include his wife, Dorothy.

Charles A. Werner, SB’42, an internist and radiologist, died November 20 at age 77 in Huntington, NY. After serving in WWII, Werner was a researcher at the National Institutes of Health and a professor at Cornell. He was a fellow of the American College of Physicians and of the Explorers Club. He was also a member of the 1001 Trust of the World Wildlife Association. He is survived by his wife, Dorothy; two daughters; two sons; four stepchildren; a sister, Catherine Werner Simonson, AM’69; and three grandchildren.
Harry W. Fischer, SB’43, MD’45, died November 1, in Frankfort, MI. While practicing medicine, Fischer was also a professor of radiology at the University of Rochester. Surviving are his wife, Ethel; three daughters; and one son.

Leonard M. Rieser Jr., SB’43, physicist, died December 17 in New Hampshire. He was 76. Assigned by the U.S. Army to the Manhattan Project, Rieser witnessed the first atomic bomb explosion while at the Los Alamos Laboratory in New Mexico. Later, as chairman of the board of the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, he provided information to policymakers to help prevent nuclear war and was the keeper of the Doomsday Clock. He also served as provost of Dartmouth University, president and chairman of the board of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and chairman of the fellows selection committee for the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. Survivors include his wife, Rosemary; a daughter; two sons, including Leonard Rieser, JD’76; two brothers, including Lawrence Rieser, PhB’47, AM’51; and three granddaughters.

Patricia James Eberlein, SB’44, one of the first female computer scientists, died August 11, 1998, in Buffalo, NY. She was 75. After a stint flying planes from manufacturing plants to military bases during WWII, Eberlein had a brief career as a fashion model in New York City. From 1967 until her retirement in 1996, Eberlein was a professor of computer science at the University of Buffalo, where she did extensive research in numerical analysis. Survivors include four daughters, three sons, a brother, and 12 grandchildren.

John F. Nims, PhD’45, a poet, translator, and author, died January 19 in Chicago. He was 85. He wrote eight books of poetry and was nominated for a National Book Award. He taught poetry at various universities, including Notre Dame, Harvard, and the Universities of Illinois at Urbana and Chicago. From 1978–1985, he edited Poetry magazine. He was also editor of The Harper Anthology of Poetry. He is survived by his wife, Bonnie; two daughters, a son, and three grandchildren.

James A. Goldman, PhB’47, AM’50, a screenwriter, novelist, and playwright, died October 28 at age 71 in New York City. In 1968 he won an Academy Award for his adaptation of The Lion in Winter. He wrote the book for the Stephen Sondheim musical Follies, which won the New York Drama Critics Circle award as best musical. The author of four novels, Goldman also adapted several classics for television, including Oliver Twist and Anna Karenina. He is survived by his wife, Barbara; his brother; a son; and a daughter.


Richard A. Jensen, AM’51, a school superintendent, died November 27 in Menlo Park, CA, at age 70. An early supporter of school integration programs, Jensen led California’s Las Lomitas school district for 21 years. He is survived by his wife, Magen Gong-Jensen; his mother; two sons; four daughters; and eight grandchildren.

Bernard D. Brodsky, AM’52, died June 14, 1998, in San Mateo, CA. He was 66. He taught at Harrison High School in Chicago and began his career in writing and editing in 1961 at Harcourt Brace Jovanovich in New York City, moving on to edit and freelance for Addison-Wesley in Menlo Park, CA. He also wrote three books of poetry.

Melville W. Beardsley, MBA’53, died November 26 in Carmel, CA. He was 85. In 1935, Beardsley began his 23-year career in the U.S. Air Force as a WWII flight instructor. He later worked at the Air Research & Development Command and was then assigned to the Pentagon and Andrews Air Force Base. After retiring from the Air Force, he helped develop the Marines’ air-cushion amphibious-landing craft. Surviving are his wife, Marie; a son; a daughter; and a brother.

Harris D. Hartzler, AB’53, SM’54, PhD’57, died April 2, 1998, in Washington DC. He is survived by his wife, Phyllis Butcher Hartzler, AB’53; his sister, Eleanor Hartzler Knight, AB’42; his brother, Alfred J. Hartzler, SB’43, SM’44, PhD’51; three children; and four grandsons.

Jack W. Meiland, AB’54, AB’56, AB’57, PhD’62, died November 8 in Ann Arbor, MI. At the University of Michigan, Meiland was a philosophy professor, director of the honors program, and associate dean of the College of Literature, Science, and Arts. He wrote four books and more than 30 papers in philosophy. Surviving are his wife, Rosalie Rice Meiland, AM’63; two sons; and daughter.

Charles T. Beeching Jr., JD’55, died December 6 in Syracuse, NY. He was 68. Beeching began his career in law as a member of the New York Board of Law Examiners. In 1960, he was appointed assistant U.S. attorney for the southern district of New York. He then worked for Justice Charles D. Breitel in the appellate division of the New York Supreme Court. He was a member of the board of directors of the Syracuse Symphony Orchestra and enjoyed flying his plane. He is survived by his wife, Suzanne, and two daughters.

Geoffrey W. Pitt, MBA’56, died January 4, 1998, in England. He was 73. An instructor at Slough College of Technology, he became head of the management studies department before retiring in 1984. Pitt is survived by two sons, two grandsons, and three brothers.

John M. Barbee, DB’58, a minister, died January 2 in Evanston, IL. He was pastor of Ingelside Avenue Methodist Church, First Methodist Church of Evergreen Park, and United Methodist Church in Glencoe. Barbee joined the faculty of National-Louis University in 1950 retiring as chair in 1997. Survivors include two daughters, two sons, a brother, and six grandchildren.

John Hudson, AB’59, JD’62, a lawyer, died January 18 in Evanston, IL, at age 65. When working for Reuben and Proctor, a former corporate litigation firm in Chicago, he helped negotiate the Tribune Co.’s purchase of the Chicago Cubs and KTLA-TV in Los Angeles. After his retirement, he traveled extensively in Italy. He is survived by a sister, Kathryn Melanson.


Raymond E. Watson, MBA’61, an engineer, died December 10, 1997, in Hudson, OH, at age 77. Watson worked in the financial division of Alltell Corporation and volunteered for the AARP’s tax assistance program. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Survivors include his wife, Vonnie.


Lynn R. Sterman, JD’71, staff counsel to the American Bar Association, died October 26 in Evanston, IL, of pancreatic cancer. She was 52. Sterman led the ABA’s fight to save the Legal Services Corporation, a federal agency that funds civil legal services for the poor. Recognizing her encouragement of lawyers to provide more pro bono services, Sterman recently received the William Reece Smith Award from the National Association of Pro Bono Coordinators. Survivors include her husband, Glenn Golden; a son; a daughter; her mother; and a brother.

Wendell B. Anderson, AM’73, a pastor, died October 26 at age 72. During his career, Anderson served the Willowbrook Church in Saskatchewan, the Norquay, Saskatchewan Covenant Church, and the Mercer Island Covenant Church in Seattle, WA. He was president of the Covenant Bible Institute for 34 years, and, in retirement, the historian for the Covenant denomination. He is survived by his wife, Bernice (“Birdie”); a son; three daughters; two brothers; one sister; and grandchildren.

Gloria J. Cunningham, PhD’76, died on September 5 in Chicago. Cunningham was professor emerita at Loyola’s School of Social Work. Survivors include her nephew, Michael Ford.
Table of Contents | Send a Letter | Staff | Editor's Notes | Letters | Investigations | Journal | Class News | Books | Deaths