The University of Chicago Magazine
Wright moves for alumni groups
It's official: On January 24, plans for restoration of Frank Lloyd Wright's Frederick C. Robie House began with the signing of an agreement between the University, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio Foundation. Through the terms of the agreement, effective February 1, the trust is leasing the house from the University and subleasing Robie House to the Oak Parkbased foundation, which is raising money to completely restore the house and create a publicly accessible house-museum. Daily tours continue to be offered of the Prairie-style brick home, which the trust named a historic site in October 1996, in recognition of its revolutionary impact on American residential architecture.
Meanwhile, the offices of the University of Chicago Alumni Association and the University of Chicago Magazine, which have been located in Robie House since 1979, have moved into temporary quarters across the Midway Plaisance; a more permanent location will be settled on after the University approves a new campus master plan--a process that began this past summer.
The new offices are located at 1313 East 60th Street, between Dorchester and Kenwood avenues. Phone numbers for the association--including alumni education, clubs, alumni travel, and reunion--and for the Magazine remain the same. (See page Editor's Notes for specifics; a new campus area code, 773, went into effect on January 11.)
In this department:
Also in the Journal:
Return to February 1997 Table of Contents