Forty-five years ago the Law School
Building (as the Laird Bell Law Quadrangle was known for
the first eight years of its life) had an impressive beginning—with
Chief Justice Earl Warren and Lord Chancellor Kilmuir coming
to campus on May 28, 1958, to lay the cornerstone of the
Eero Saarinen–designed complex, part of a larger campus-expansion
master plan developed by Saarinen in the early 1950s.
Three of the quadrangle’s
buildings are low-lying: the circular Constitution Hall,
which contains an auditorium and courtroom, the classroom
building, and an administrative wing. Rising in the center
is what is now known as the D’Angelo Law Library.
Six stories high, with windows of dark-paned glass, the
library faces a large reflecting pool—a Saarinen trademark.
Home to Antoine Pevsner’s bronze sculpture Construction
in Space in the 3rd & 4th Dimension, on hot spring
and summer days and nights the pool also offers a destination
point for neighborhood canines and frolicking students.