IMAGE:  April 2004

LINK:  Class Notes
Alumni News  
Alumni Works  
LINK:  Features
Father of the Grid  
Where the action was  
Picture perfect  
Rock-solid mission  

LINK:  Campus News
Chicago Journal  
University News e-bulletin  

LINK:  Research
Research at Chicago  

LINK:  Also in every issue
Editor's Notes  
From the President  
GRAPHIC:  University of Chicago Magazine

GRAPHIC:  About AlumniDeaths


Ormand J. Wade, a telecommunications executive, died January 14 in Southport, ME. President of Illinois Bell, Wade later served as Ameritech’s vice chairman, a position he held until retirement. Among his philanthropic activities, he served on the University’s Humanities Division visiting committee and board of trustees and chaired the Corporate Gifts Committee. Survivors include his wife, Miriam; a daughter; a son; a brother; two sisters; and four grandchildren.


Odin W. Anderson, whose death was noted in the December/03 issue, is also survived by a son, Thor E. Anderson.

Chauncy D. Harris, PhD’40, the Samuel N. Harper distinguished service professor emeritus in geography, died December 26 in Chicago. He was 89. A State Department geographer and Russian-language student during WW II, Harris joined the faculty in 1943. An expert on urban development and ethnicity, particularly in the Soviet Union, he made 14 trips to the region, publishing seminal works on Soviet industrial and agricultural resources and the discipline of geography. Survivors include his wife, Edith; a daughter, Margaret Harris, AB’70; two sisters; and two grandchildren.

Norval R. Morris, the Julius Kreeger professor of law and criminology emeritus, died February 21 in Chicago. He was 80. After appointments at several Australian and U.S. universities and with the United Nations, Morris moved to the University in 1964. A prison-reform advocate, he wrote 15 books and hundreds of articles, helping define humane confinement standards. Survivors include his wife, Elaine; three sons; and three grandchildren.

Hewson H. Swift, the George Wells Beadle distinguished service professor, died January 1 in Chicago. He was 83. Joining the faculty in 1949, Swift cofounded the American Society for Cell Biology and helped launch the Journal of Cell Biology. An authority on quantitative microscopy and chromosome structure, he was the first to measure DNA content in various cells and cell components. Survivors include his wife, Joan W. Swift, AM’59; two daughters; and three grandchildren.


Oscar Z. Fasman, PhB’28, a rabbi, died November 24 in Los Angeles. He was 95. After serving a Tulsa, OK, orthodox synagogue, in 1940 Fasman moved to Ottawa, Canada, where he oversaw five orthodox synagogues. Returning to Chicago six years later, he became president of the Hebrew Theological College, retiring to found Congregation Yehuda Moshe in Lincolnwood, IL. Survivors include two daughters, two sons, 15 grandchildren, and 52 great-grandchildren.


Albert Kaufman, SB’35, a home builder, died January 22 in Scottsdale, AZ. He was 90. After working as a construction estimator, Kaufman built 1.5 million square feet of commercial space and more than 5,500 homes in the Chicago area, founding the town of Woodridge in 1959. A Builder Hall of Fame member, he enjoyed playing the violin, fishing, and golfing. Survivors include a daughter, three sons, two brothers, a sister, nine grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.

Arnold William Haarlow Jr., X’36, died November 21 in Hinsdale, IL. He was 90. A two-time All-American basketball player, Haarlow, featured in the October/03 Magazine, briefly played professional basketball and for 12 seasons refereed Big Ten games, supervising conference officials for an additional 17 years. A 40-year employee with Illinois Bell, Haarlow retired in the ’70s. Survivors include his wife, Margaret N. Haarlow, SB’35; a daughter; two sons; 11 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Dorothy Ulrich Troubetzkoy, AB’36, a poet and journalist, died December 8 in Staunton, VA. She was 89. Troubetzkoy wrote arts columns, hosted radio and television shows, and ran high-school poetry workshops in Virginia. She also edited regional magazines, founded a weekly newspaper, and published several poetry compilations. Survivors include two daughters and a son.

Leonard L. Hoffman, AB’38, JD’40, died January 24 in Morris, IL. He was 85. Elected La Salle County circuit-court judge six times, Hoffman served from 1957 to 1984. During his tenure he was appointed by the state Supreme Court to work on all five Illinois appellate courts. After retirement he was director and chairman of the board at First National Bank of Dwight. Survivors include his wife, Marjorie; two daughters; a son; nine grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Helen Peterson Johnson, AB’38, died December 30 in Joliet, IL. She was 86. A lifelong Joliet resident, Johnson taught in area grade schools. A member of Delta Kappa Gamma and other educational groups, she was active with the Joliet grade- and high-school Band Parents Association. Survivors include five sons, including Theodore L. Johnson, AB’73, and Carl D. Johnson, SB’74; a daughter; and ten grandchildren.


Lawrence Bogorad, SB’42, PhD’49, a plant biologist, died December 28 while on vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. He was 82. After teaching at Chicago for 13 years, Bogorad joined the Harvard University faculty, retiring in 1991. In 1987 he served as president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Survivors include his wife, Rosalyn, a daughter, and a son.

Angelo G. Geocaris, AB’42, a fund-raiser, died December 20 in Wheeling, IL. He was 83. After WW II Navy service, Geocaris, a Northwestern law graduate, served as chief executive of the Illinois Liquor Control Commission and an attorney for Cook Country Sheriff Joseph Lohman. An adviser to Illinois philanthropists and Democratic politicians, he also built his own real-estate, restaurant, trucking, and financial-services businesses. Survivors include his wife, Irene; a daughter; three sons; a brother, James Geocaris, AB’49, X’50; four sisters; and eight grandchildren.

Joseph B. Van Hise, AB’43, AM’48, a history professor, died December 14 in San Francisco. He was 80. A WW II veteran, Fulbright scholar, and Peace Corps volunteer, Van Hise taught at San Francisco State for 39 years, retiring in 1993. He enjoyed traveling and classical music. Survivors include two daughters; a son; a sister, Elizabeth V. Noss, AB’45, AB’57; and seven grandchildren.

Harmon Craig, X’47, SM’50, PhD’51, a geochemist and oceanographer, died March 14, 2003, in La Jolla, CA. He was 76. Joining Scripps Institution of Oceanography in 1955, Craig helped lead GeoSECS, a study of oceanic chemical, isotopic, and hydrographic properties. A member of the National Academy of Sciences and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, he led 28 deep-sea oceanographic expeditions. Survivors include his wife, Valerie K. Craig, MBA’48; three daughters; a brother, John R. Craig III, PhB’49, SM’50; and four grandchildren.

Nicholas Kushta, SB’47, AM’51, PhD’58, a high-school administrator, died December 6 in Downers Grove, IL. He was 81. Kushta served as principal of several regional high schools, retiring in 1989. A lifelong South Side resident, he supported Chicago’s off-Loop theater movement and in retirement led efforts to restore St. George Russian Orthodox Cathedral. Survivors include a niece, Carol Klimick Cyganowski, AM’70, PhD’80.

Frederick D. Sulcer, AB’47, MBA’63, an advertising executive, died January 18 in New York. He was 77. Sulcer began his advertising career in Chicago, later moving to New York, where he encouraged his clients to support public-service campaigns. After retiring as vice chair of DDB Needham Worldwide, Sulcer taught at Fairleigh Dickinson University. Survivors include his wife, Dorothy; a daughter; two sons, including David Sulcer, AB’81; and seven grandchildren.

Paul H. Jackson, SB’48, SM’49, an actuary, died August 31 in Bethesda, MD. He was 79. Following WW II service, in 1949 Jackson joined Aetna Life Insurance, moving to Watson Wyatt Worldwide in 1964. Head of Wyatt’s Washington, DC, office, he testified before congressional committees on Social Security, pension legislation, and disability income benefits. Survivors include his wife, Martha; three sons; and two grandchildren.

Joseph O. Lackey, PhB’48, SB’49, MD’53, died December 11 in Mexico. He was 76. After internships at New York Hospital and Children’s Hospital in Los Angeles, Lackey practiced general surgery in San Francisco for 35 years. He enjoyed playing the violin, reading, and travel.

Michael J. Cullen, JD’49, a corporate lawyer, died December 16 in Santa Barbara, CA. He was 80. After serving in WW II, Cullen taught at Stanford University and the University of Washington. In 1952 he joined the San Francisco office of Heller Ehrman White & McAuliff, retiring 40 years later. Cullen was a trustee of the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley and was inducted into the Franciscans as a layman in 1991. Survivors include his wife, Patricia; a daughter; three sons; and five grandchildren.

Philip W. Stetson, AM’49, died December 8 in Altoona, PA. He was 82. Following WW II Army service, Stetson taught high-school French, later teaching at Jersey City State College and Montclair State University. In 1976 he retired, traveling often to Paris, where he lived for seven years while volunteering as a translator and pianist in geriatric centers.


Bernard B. Barash, MD’50, a psychoanalyst, died September 2002 in San Jose, CA. He was 80. A chemist in Oak Ridge, TN, after his graduate work Barash taught at the Western Psychiatric Institute at the University of Pittsburgh, retiring in 1996. Survivors include a daughter and three sons, including Jeffrey A. Barash, AM’73, PhD’82.

Henry A. De Wind, AM’48, PhD’51, died January 15 in Whitewater, WI. He was 84. After briefly teaching history at the University of Cincinnati and Olivet College, De Wind joined the University of Wisconsin–Whitewater, where he remained for 31 years. Survivors include his wife, Violet Kral De Wind, AB’46, AM’49; two daughters; two sons; a brother, Loren T. De Wind, MD’45; and five grandchildren.

Robert E. O’Neill, AB’51, died July 11 in Plymouth, NH. Following WW II Army service, O’Neill taught philosophy at Plymouth State College for 30 years. Survivors include his wife, Audrey Myerson O’Neill, AB’48, AM’55; a daughter, Anne O’Neil, AB’83; and a son.

Roy D. Cobb, AM’52, an educator, died December 4 in Germantown, TN. He was 91. A high-school coach and administrator, Cobb served in the Navy during WW II. With his late wife, Mildred J. Cobb, AM’52, he pioneered educational television for developing nations. He was American Samoa’s education director and a Fulbright professor in Indonesia. Cobb also led congressional fact-finding missions to the Ivory Coast, Africa, and the Pacific Trust Territories. He is survived by two daughters, including Mildred Diane Cashman, AB’60; and two sisters.

Sidney Mailick, AM’48, PhD’55, died November 28 in New York. He was 80. A professor of public administration at New York University for 35 years, Mailick advised the Israeli government, the United Nations, and the U.S. State Department. Survivors include his wife, Mildred; a daughter; a son; two sisters; and four grandchildren.

Jordan A. Weber, JD’55, died December 28 in Northridge, CA. He was 71. Practicing law in Los Angeles, Jordan never lost a criminal case. In his spare time he directed and produced plays and musicals for the local Jewish community center. Survivors include his wife, Judy; three sons; and two granddaughters.

Homer Chen, AM’57, died December 10 in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA. He was 86. After moving to the Unites States in 1941, Chen was a longtime field agent for the Internal Revenue Service and was named Professional Employee of the Year in 1977; he retired in 1985. A liaison for Taiwanese government officials in Chicago, he cofounded the Chinese American Educational Foundation and belonged to the Central United Methodist Church. He is preceded by his wife, Phoebe Shu-Heng, PhD’65. Survivors include a daughter and two sons, including Felix K. Chen, AB’71, MD’75.

Edward Fisher Krise, AM’50, PhD’58, died December 4 in Papeete, Tahiti. He was 79. Following WW II Army service, Krise resumed active duty in 1951 as a Medical Service Corps officer, later appointed chief of race relations for U.S. Army Europe. After leaving the Army, he joined the University of Maryland, Baltimore, as professor and associate dean of the Graduate School of Social Work. Retiring in 1975, Krise indulged his passion for sailing. Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth; a daughter; and a son.


John. C. Deshaies, AM’62, died November 19 in St. Augustine, FL. He was 73. In the U.S. Census Bureau Deshaies developed methodologies for creating automated information systems for urban epidemiology research, winning the Silver Medal Award for federal service. Retiring in 1982, Deshaies cofounded the Humanists of Northeast Florida and was a longtime member of the American Humanist Association. Survivors include a brother, Dennis J. Deshaies, AM’62.

Raymond M. Rahner, AM’69, an actor, died January 21 in Ft. Myers, FL. He was 84. A WW II veteran, Rahner, who adopted the screen name Ray Rayner, began his career in radio, later hosting and acting in several Chicago-area television shows, including a stint as Oliver O. Oliver on Bozo’s Circus. Retiring in 1980, he was the weatherman for Albuquerque’s CBS affiliate for nine years. Survivors include his wife, Marie; a daughter; a son; and four grandchildren.


R. Bruce McPherson, PhD’70, died November 27 in Beverly, IL. He was 70. A high-school principal, teacher, and superintendent, in 1976 McPherson was named director of the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools. In 1980 he joined the University of Illinois as an education professor, later serving on the Golden Apple Foundation board. Survivors include his wife, Carolyn; a daughter; three sons, including James C. McPherson, MST’85; his mother; and a brother.

Wendy Peterson Metzger, AB’71, a physician, died of cancer January 25 in Tempe, AZ. She was 53. After practicing with New Mexico’s Indian Health Service, Metzger worked at the University of Arizona, Arizona State University, and the Thomas-David Medical Center, retiring in 1995. Survivors include two daughters; her parents; and a brother, James D. Peterson, AB’71, PhD’74.

Elizabeth Ann Bates, AM’72, PhD’74, a cognitive scientist, died of pancreatic cancer December 14 in San Diego. She was 56. Joining the faculty at the University of California, San Diego, in 1983, Bates was a founding member of UCSD’s cognitive science department. In 1989 she became head of UCSD’s Center for Research in Language’s Project for Cognitive and Neural Development, writing and coauthoring ten books and some 200 articles. Survivors include her husband, George Carnevale, and a daughter.

H. Susan Babb, MAT’75, a child psychologist, died of cancer December 28 in Oak Park, IL. She was 52. A high-school teacher, Babb later joined the Institute for Juvenile Research. In 1987 she moved to the University, leaving after four years to found her own practice. Survivors include her husband, Philip Baranowski; two daughters; and two brothers.

Robert C. Morris, AM’65, PhD’76, an archivist, died of melanoma December 30 in New York. He was 61. Briefly teaching history at the University of Maryland and Rutgers University, Morris worked for several archives and was director of the National Archives and Records Administration, Northeast region, from 1988 to 2003. Survivors include his wife, Darlene Kerstetter Morris, AM’67; his mother; a brother; and a sister.


2007 The University of Chicago® Magazine | 401 North Michigan Ave. Suite 1000, Chicago, IL 60611
phone: 773/702-2163 | fax: 773/702-8836 |