IMAGE:  October 2003
 

LINK:  Class Notes
Alumni News  
Alumni Works  
C.Vitae  
Deaths  
 
LINK:  Features
Healthy, Wealthy, and Wed  
Rural Route  
Chicago's Starting Team  
Webbed Footage  

The Zen of Education

 

LINK:  Campus News
Chicago Journal  
University News  
Uchicago.edu e-bulletin  

LINK:  Research
Investigations  
Citations  
U of C Research Organizations  

LINK:  Also in every issue
Editor's Notes  
Letters  
From the President  
Chicagophile  
 
GRAPHIC:  University of Chicago Magazine
 
 
OCTOBER 2003
Volume 96, Issue 1
 

GRAPHIC:  About AlumniArchitectural Details

Rooftop Chemistry

The cupola that sits atop Kent Chemical Laboratory is gleaming more brightly these days, thanks to a 2002 refurbishing. According to Barry O’Quinn, the University’s supervisor of sheet metal, roofing, and masonry, the cupola, composed of clay tiles and plain and lead-coated copper, is used to ventilate the area below—a large circular lecture hall that once did double duty as a chapel.

The dome is one of many ornate details gracing the research building, designed by architect Henry Ives Cobb, also responsible for Cobb Lecture Hall, Snell Hall, and many of the quads’ other Gothic structures. Chicago grain speculator and businessman Sidney A. Kent donated $235,000 to construct the 1894 building.—P.M.

IMAGE:  Architectural Details
Photo by Dan Dry

A generous slice of sky above Kent's newly renovated cupola.


 


Google
Search WWW Search magazine.uchicago.edu

Contact Advertising About the Magazine Alumni UChicago Views Archives
uchicago 2003 The University of Chicago Magazine 5801 South Ellis Ave., Chicago, IL 60637
phone: 773/702-2163 fax: 773/702-0495 uchicago-magazine@uchicago.edu